Emacs on Aix questions

From: Hemond, Steve
Subject: Emacs on Aix questions
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 12:59:00 -0500

Hi friends,

I have installed Emacs (21.3.3) on Aix and I have some questions before
going ahead and make it available to my users.

First, while in X11 mode, I have two main problems :

1. The DEL key won't erase from the point position. It acts like
BACKSPACE. (I don't have this problem in terminal mode). 2. C-space will
start setting a mark, but moving the cursor to select a range leads to
nothing. Like the MARK SET is disabling soon after.

In terminal mode (emacs -nw), I have the same MARK SET problem. The DEL
key behaves correctly. But I have a problem:

1. The mode line disapears from time to time (often when paging up and
down) like its not refreshed. Is it possible to fix that?

General question :

1. Is is possible to tell emacs not to use backup and temporary files? I
hate listing a directory filled with #file and file~ files, and I don't
really need to backup this way. Can I get rid of that feature easily?

Thanks a lot for your support,

Best regards,

Steve Hemond
Programmeur Analyste / Analyst Programmer
Smurfit-Stone, Ressources Forestieres
La Tuque, P.Q.
Tel.: (819) 676-8100 X2833
shemond@smurfit.com