font faces in Panther

From: Bill Rising
Subject: font faces in Panther
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 11:26:38 -0500

Hello folks,

I'm having trouble getting the height of the default font face to behave
properly today, but last week it worked fine.

Here's what once worked when using emacs' customize routines :
Attributes: [X] Font Family: apple-monaco
            [X] Width: Value Menu medium
            [X] Height: Value Menu Height in 1/10 pt: 150
            [X] Weight: Value Menu medium
            [X] Slant: Value Menu normal
            [X] Underline: Value Menu Off
            [X] Overline: Value Menu Off
            [X] Strike-through: Value Menu Off
            [X] Box around text: Value Menu Off
            [X] Inverse-video: Value Menu Off
            [X] Foreground: black      (sample)
            [X] Background: LightYellow (sample)
            [X] Stipple: Value Menu None
            [ ] Inherit: *

The changes to my system between last week and this week are large:
I upgraded from Mac OS X 10.2.8 (Jaguar) to Mac OS X 10.3.2 (Panther).
I installled the latest CVS of emacs on Jan. 10, 2004 (Saturday). The
same behavior showed itself when I upgraded to Panther (and updated
emacs) back in October, 2003 on a machine at home.

I've tried various random 'fixes', such as changing the Font Family to
Monaco or AppleMonaco - these all behave the same as apple-monaco.
Chaning the Height to 100 really does make everything into the 10-point
Monaco font. Up to 140 pretty much corresponds to the possible Monaco
font sizes up to 14 point. Unfortunately, above 140, the default font
doesn't change size, but (oddly enough) the modeline font changes size
properly.

I've tried poking around the internet to find some help on this, but
have come up empty.

Any hints?

Thanks,

Bill