Re: Editing a file as root

From: gebser
Subject: Re: Editing a file as root
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 08:19:53 -0500 (EST)

At 11:07 (UTC+0100) on Wed, 17 Dec 2003 Sébastien Kirche said:

= gebser@speakeasy.net writes:
=
= > Yes, this is what I was asking.  I just wanted to make sure that the
= > problem wasn't with the server.  For example, servers are often set up
= > to disallow remote logins to the root account.  (From a security
= > standpoint, this is a very good idea.)
=
= Well the "server" is actually the same local machine. So I guess that
= even if remote login is disabled (not sure it is) it should not
= interfere with local login from within emacs.
= Or do i misunderstood and the /su::/some/path acts as a rlogin even on
= local system ?
=
= ...

I guess the local/remote paradigm can be confusing in this case, so we
should speak in terms of client/server.  So, yes, if the server is
configured to disallow root logins, then you won't be able to log in as
root, even if the client and server are one the same physical machine.
So check out the server configuration to see if this is the case.  And
as said before, the definition of the prompt string might be the problem
also.

hth,
ken