RE: Emacs on 64-bit Windows platforms?

From: andrew . maguire
Subject: RE: Emacs on 64-bit Windows platforms?
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 11:11:17 -0500

> I'd like to get Emacs running on the two current 64-bit
> Windows platforms:
> Itanium and AMD64. Both are supposed to be able to run x86 Windows
> programs, but our old-faithful Emacs 19.34.6 (i386-*-nt4.0)
> exits silently when run on them, without displaying any error messages or
> anything else.
> In any case, performance will be better when they're running as native
code.
> While I'm reasonably used to using Emacs, this will be my
> first attempt to build or install it - or anything else with GNU
autoconfig -
> and I'm not sure where to start, apart from downloading the tarball.
Hello John,

Have you tried downloading and running Emacs 20.7 or Emacs 21.2 (or .3)?
Since these versions are considerably later than 19.34 and may have had
fixes to support
the Windows 64 bit platforms.

The precompiled versions will be easy to try out since after unpacking in
any directory you can just run
the emacs.exe from bin and it will automatically look for its resources
relative to where it
resides.

You can get the precompiled binaries from these mirrors.
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/faq2.html#where-precompiled

This is also a good starting FAQ for Windows Emacs
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/ntemacs.html

Andrew