Re: Lisp help: problem with uninterned symbols

From: Lars Brinkhoff
Subject: Re: Lisp help: problem with uninterned symbols
Date: 12 Dec 2003 21:44:52 +0100

> I think you're out of luck.

Good to know I didn't miss something obvious.

> Same thing with any other object, by the way: dumping a `cons' cell
> twice in two different forms will lose the sharing information and
> will thus result in having two distinct cons cells when read back.

Yes, I noticed that too, but that haven't ran into that problem yet.

> - avoid dumping the raw data and instead force the use of my-intern
> when loading the file.  Maybe with something like
>
>     (defvar my-item (my-intern "foo"))
>     (defun foo () my-item)
>     (defun bar () my-item)

That would be good enough I guess.

> of course I strongly suspect that this example code is very
> different from your actual code and turning one into the other my be
> non-trivial.

Umm, not really, I think.  My example had enough of the essence of the
problem.

> If you can't do it easily, post more details here and we'll happily
> make fun of you.

All details are here:
  http://www.nocrew.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/cvsweb.cgi/emacs-cl/
mostly in cl-packages.el and especially the kw macro in utils.el.

--
Lars Brinkhoff,         Services for Unix, Linux, GCC, HTTP
Brinkhoff Consulting    http://www.brinkhoff.se/