Show past end of buffer lines & extra spaces with different colors

From: Micha Feigin
Subject: Show past end of buffer lines & extra spaces with different colors
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 17:04:53 +0200

Is it possible to show lines past the end of the buffer (i.e lines
that are shown on the screen but are not part of the buffer) in a
different color?
Those would the lines that appear in vim as ~.
Also is it possible to show spaces on the end of a line with a
different color, so that if I have some extra spaces left over on the
end of the line by mistake I will be able to see them visually?