Re: FAQ 5.44 leaves still one thing desired for font-lock

From: Henrik Enberg
Subject: Re: FAQ 5.44 leaves still one thing desired for font-lock
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2003 09:26:13 +0100

bhushit@hotmail.com (Bhushit Joshipura) writes:

> My [x]emacs on Redhat 9.0 does not syntax highlight automatically. I
> tried Emacs FAQ and found a suggestion to add this line to my .emacs.
>
> (global-font-lock-mode 1)

Are you sure that you're saving this to the correct file?  That should
be enough (It is for me).

Try doing "C-x C-f ~/.emacs".  Do you get the correct file?

[...]

> And to end all these questions, is there a .emacs or .xemacs
> generator? It may let me select or deselect all options for a standard
> [x]emacs - backspace / delete, keymaps, syntax highlighting, ... and
> dump .emacs or .xemacs ?

Not that I know of, but M-x customize might be easier to use for
non-lispers.  It bresents you with a browsable interface for Emacs
options.