Re: eshell functions, what is the magic spell.

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: eshell functions, what is the magic spell.
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 22:10:32 +0000

Steven Wu <wus@qwest.net> writes:

> I am in the process of switching to eshell, and my experience so far
> has been good, except one thing that I made a function by "(defun
> eshell/vi...) like the one Kai did, but after finding the file, it
> runs viper mode, (hay, that is what vi supposted to do right). The
> problem is that I cannot get the eshell to know my lisp function vi. I
> put the elisp into a file, and load-in in .emacs, and it took no
> effect. I wonder what is the trick to get eshell notics my functions.

I have this:

(defun eshell/vi (&rest args)
  "Invoke vi, flattening the arguments appropriately."
  (funcall 'find-file (apply 'eshell-flatten-and-stringify args)))

(put 'eshell/vi 'eshell-no-numeric-conversions t)

It seems to work without any further setup.  If you copy the above
verbatim, does it also work for you?

What does your, failing, function look like?

Kai