Re: Is there a branch of emacs-unicode?

From: Oliver Scholz
Subject: Re: Is there a branch of emacs-unicode?
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 16:19:54 +0100

Hongzheng Wang <wanghz02@mails.tsinghua.edu.cn> writes:

> Hi, all.
>    I heard there was a development branch of emacs-unicode. Is it true?

Yes, it is. This branch is called emacs-unicode-2. It is *very*
unstable, I managed to find three ways to make it crash in the first
20 minutes after I checked it out. You should check it out only if you
plan to participate in its development.

> Does this branch plan to add entirely unicode support with emacs?

This branch implements UTF-8 as Emacs' *internal* encoding. But
Unicode support and the particular internal encoding are mostly
orthogonal issues.

With the exception of CJK characters the Unicode support of the
released version is already quite good. As for CJK, you might rather
want to check out the main branch in the CVS (21.3.50), where it is
already implemented.  In contrast to emacs-unicode-2, the main branch
is (most of the time) quite usable.

    Oliver
--
24 Brumaire an 212 de la Révolution