Re: copy/paste with other programs

From: Eric Marsden
Subject: Re: copy/paste with other programs
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 18:23:52 +0100

>>>>> "os" == Oliver Sturm <o.sturm@dahlhoff.biz> writes:

  os> Very nice text, thanks for that. Still, copying something from Evolution
  os> 1.2 lets me paste it into an xterm window with the middle button, but not
  os> into an Emacs buffer. Instead, it pastes the last thing I copied from
  os> Emacs itself, probably CLIPBOARD instead of PRIMARY. The text says
  os> explicitely
  os>
  os> middle mouse button should paste PRIMARY, never CLIPBOARD
  os>
  os> but that's not what Emacs seems to do. Or where am I wrong?

it behaves as expected for me with Emacs 21.2 and 21.3. Check the
value of the variable interprogram-paste-function: it should be
x-cut-buffer-or-selection-value, which checks the PRIMARY selection
first as COMPOUND_TEXT, then as STRING. Also check that
x-select-enable-clipboard is nil.

Try selecting text in Evolution then evaluating

   M-: (x-get-selection 'PRIMARY 'COMPOUND_TEXT)

If that returns the selected text but Emacs middle-click doesn't, I
think it's due to some non-default setting of yours.

--
Eric Marsden                          <URL:http://www.laas.fr/~emarsden/>