Automatic smart indentation

From: Martin Stone Davis
Subject: Automatic smart indentation
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 15:38:42 -0800

I've read the threads in this list pertaining to indentation, but I haven't found a solution to the following problem: While editing a lisp program, I want to keep the indentation "correct" at all times.

i.e. If I yank I want to reindent. If I delete a ), I want it to reindent, If I insert a (, change the name of a function from if to when, undo etc. etc. etc., I want to reindent.

The solution I came up with is:

(setq lisp-indent-function 'common-lisp-indent-function)
(add-hook 'after-change-functions
          (lambda (start end pre-change-length)
             (indent-region start (buffer-size) nil)))

The problem is that it somehow gets into an endless loop *sometimes* when I undo. It might have problems in other situations, but that's whet I've found so far.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
-Martin

P.S. Also, I've noticed that my solution is somewhat whimsical. Sometimes it gets the indentation completely wrong, and lots of things end up on the left margin. I'll try to come up with an reproducible example of this problem after I get some solution to the above. This may be a problem with common-lisp-indent-function or indent-region.