Re: OT: Run Ant in MingW shell?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: OT: Run Ant in MingW shell?
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 08:28:33 +0200

> From: Kai Grossjohann <kai.grossjohann@gmx.net>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 22:32:18 +0200
>
> > The shell cannot know that a file foo.bat
> > needs to be run thru "cmd /c", so it's your responsibility to type
> > that on the command line.
>
> Why can't the shell know?  In a Windows environment, it seems useful
> to just tell it so.

That means someone should hack the Bash sources to add the code to do
this.  Originally, Bash simply looks at the executable bit returned by
`stat' and at the magic number.  If the magic number is "#!", it then
reads the first line of the script looking for the interpreter.
(Actually, I think this is in the kernel, at least on some flavors of
Unix.)

> (Actually, there must be a registry of some kind in Windows that
> says that *.bat files are associated with cmd, but I don't know the
> details.)

No, AFAIK the association of *.bat files in inside CMD itself, not in
the registry.