Re: switching from emacs to xemacs

From: Orm Finnendahl
Subject: Re: switching from emacs to xemacs
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 21:07:55 +0200

Am 16. September 2003, 20:09 Uhr (+0200) schrieb Stein A. Stromme:
> [Orm Finnendahl]
>
> | after years using emacs, I finally started to switch to xemacs.
>
> Nobody asked yet, so here: why?

Well, actually because I couldn't get font-lock support in my color
xterm and because I erroneously thought emacs was somewhat outdated
and in the process of merging into xemacs. Little did I know about the
fact that these programs actually are different branches
altogether. And little did I know that color support only started with
emacs21 and I still had emacs 20.7.

Well, I ended up reading about emacs' and xemacs' history, upgraded to
emacs21 and voila, the colors work! Now I'm happy as happy can be
using emacs in a terminal window (I much prefer that to X anyway).

And sorry that I obviously was posting to the wrong list.

The only thing I slightly regret is that it doesn't seem to be
possible to use "emacsclient" in the same terminal as the issuing
process (like with xemacs' "gnuclient -nw" command) but rather in the
emacs server window.

Are there any workarounds?

Thanx,
Orm