Re: paragraph definition problems

From: Jesper Harder
Subject: Re: paragraph definition problems
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 05:39:50 +0200

Joerg <nospam@nospam.org> writes:

> Jesper Harder wrote:
>>
>> I think `paragraph-indent-text-mode' does what you want:
>
> Exactly! Thank you very much! I still don't understand why altering
> paragraph-start and paragraph-separate doesn't work, but who cares?

Well, if you wan't to know, you can just do `C-h v paragraph-start'
and `C-h v paragraph-separate' in paragraph-indent-text-mode and
text-mode respectively and compare the values.

Then you'll know which values give you the desired effect.

> One more thing: Do you also know a text-/minor-mode which is the
> opposite of paragraph-indent-text-mode, i.e. every line NOT starting
> with an indentation is considered as a new paragraph?
>
> This would be useful for text like the following:
>
> Topic1: This should be
>         one paragraph.
> Topic2: This should be
>         one paragraph.

`C-x .' (set-fill-prefix) is useful for this kind of situation.  If
you place point at "one" and press `C-x .', I think you'll get
something close to what you want.

Also read the chapter about filling in the Emacs manual -- there are
lots of options and commands related to this.