Re: preview-latex: preview normal text?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: preview-latex: preview normal text?
Date: 05 Sep 2003 15:38:09 +0200

Joerg Schuster <js@cis.uni-muenchen.de> writes:

> > What are you trying to achieve?
>
> I just would like to preview all of my document. Normal text uses to
> contain a lot of stuff that makes it hard to read. Like so:
>
>      Let $w_1$ be a {\em \bf new word} whose {\sc meaning} is
>      ``meaning''.

You are aware that \em\bf is exactly equivalent to \bf, that both as
well as \sc are quite obsolete and have been for about 7 years?

> (I know that there is a problem with formulas that occur in normal
> text.)

preview-latex has no problems with formulas occuring in normal text.

What you want to achieve above is not something that preview-latex is
well-suited for.  While you could attach preview-latex to the \emph
and \textbf commands, the interaction with editing and line breaks
would be a nuisance, mostly.  It may be that at one time you can
teach preview-latex to not use images, but rather text properties to
do its work in some cases.  Then you could use it better in the way
you are thinking of.

If you want to work on that, you are welcome.

> I also wonder why section headers are previewed while chapter headers
> are not.

Probably because you are using some package that replaces chapter
headers by something not using \@startsection.

> Can I change this in some way?

Well, certainly.  But unless you tell us just what you are doing, it
will be hard to say how to do it differently.