Re: tramp: Maximum buffer size exceeded

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: tramp: Maximum buffer size exceeded
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 21:53:42 +0200

Kin Cho <kin@neoscale.com> writes:

> tramp (2.0.35) seems to have trouble with large file size.
>
> I was trying to copy /large-file (210 Meg) from foobar to a local
> directory.

It's a pity.  I didn't think of this optimization.  If you look at
the function tramp-do-copy-or-rename-file, then you will see that it
deals with the following special cases:

* Both are Tramp files.  In that case, I look whether they are from
  the same user/host/method combo.  If so, I invoke "mv"/"cp" on the
  remote system directly.  If not, see the last case.

* Neither are Tramp files.  Error.

* This is the default case: fetch file into a buffer, then save the
  buffer.

I should add another case which looks whether exactly one of them is
remote and the method is an out of band method.  In that case, I can
invoke rcp/scp/... directly.

Want to code this?
--
Two cafe au lait please, but without milk.