Re: ignore CVS directories with tab complete

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: ignore CVS directories with tab complete
Date: 13 Aug 2003 08:34:17 +0200

> From: Phillip Lord <p.lord@russet.org.uk>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: 12 Aug 2003 19:10:40 +0100
>
> If I start a clean emacs (-q --no-site-file), and then change into a
> directory with only two sub-dirs, one of which is CVS, and then hit
> tab I get...
>
> Completions
>
> ../  ./ CVS/ uk/

What command did you invoke before hitting TAB?  Was that "C-x C-f" or
something else?

> a) is there any way of getting emacs to ignore the CVS directory all
>    together. That way I could move up five empty directories with five
>    tabs.

What version of Emacs is that?  Emacs already has "CVS/" in the value
of the variable `completion-ignored-extensions' (together with "./"
and "../", which you also see on your system), so it should ignore
those by default, unless they are the only files in the directory.
But some past versions of Emacs had a bug that would cause the
ignored directories to show anyhow.

What you ask in a) above already works for me in the CVS version of
Emacs; I'm not sure if Emacs 21.2 or 21.3 has that bug fixed, though.

> b) even better, have emacs realise that there are five empty
>    directories, and auto complete all the way up.

I don't think it is a good idea to have such a feature: a user could
have in mind creation of a file in one of the empty directories on the
way down.