lRe: MS Windows "Alt-Menu" support

From: Herb Martin
Subject: lRe: MS Windows "Alt-Menu" support
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 03:11:44 GMT

> I haven't looked at the code, but I believe that the new Alt behavior
> needs to be done on the C level.

Rats!  Of course C itself is no problem but that usually means
it takes longer to find and fix properly plus the effort to integrate
it with new versions increases dramatically.

> While the new Alt behavior would be good for Windows users, I wonder
> what users of other OSes do?  I think it's also becoming common with
> modern X11 applications that Alt-X invokes the menu bar entry X.  But
> I think for X11 apps, it's hold-down-Alt-while-pressing-X instead of
> the Windows way.

I think the suggestion -- and I agreed -- was to make it configurable.

Even some Windows users may not want it even though that is what
every other windows program (practically) does.

Alt then Key is the same as Alt-Key for pulling down menus.