Re: How to set up a GNU/Linux type of computer

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: How to set up a GNU/Linux type of computer
Date: 09 Aug 2003 16:00:49 +0200

Don Saklad <dsaklad@nestle.ai.mit.edu> writes:

> How would you kind folks out there set up a GNU/Linux type of
> computer for a complete neophyte or for, let's say, grandma?...

With the same distribution I would be using myself, and I would be
setting a ssh account on the box for myself with public key access
only (and no other active account), and I would place a panic button
on the said person's desktop that would fire up the internet (which
hoggs the only phone line with the modem) and then mails the
currently assigned dialup IP address to my own mail account.

In fact, that is just what I did with the box of my mother.  Makes it
quite easier to solve the "my files have disappeared" problems.  One
day I'll manage to get the concept of directories into her head.

But that's another problem.