Re: termcap or terminfo

From: Stanley Yao
Subject: Re: termcap or terminfo
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 12:43:06 -0700

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
> Eli Zaretskii
> <eliz@elta.co.il>], who wrote in article
> <mailman.715.1059569231.8231.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>:
> > > Now I stick to the 8 color. But I am trying to change them a bit
> > > brighter, because they are now very dark and difficult to be seen on the
> > > screen (expecially the blue color).
> > > I guess I need to configure the terminfo to change the palette, right?
> >
> > If this is on xterm or some other terminal emulator, a much easier way
> > is to configure the emulator to use different colors for the 8 defined
> > color names.
>
> FYI: I use this (but with light background):
>
> *VT100*colorMode: on
> *VT100*boldColors: on
> *VT100*dynamicColors: on

Thank you both Mr./Mis. Zaretskii and Mr./Mis. Zakharevich!
I am not using an xterm on the X server. I just set the TERM to be
xterm-color or vt100 and use the text console in a SSH Secure Shell 3.0.0
on a windows XP machine and connect to a
Solaris machine in the department. I searched on SSH website for how to
change palette on the SSH client, but did not find anything. SSH Secure
Shell is different from the Xterm on Linux which support the change of
palette.
I checked ASNI color and they send strings like \e[{attr1};...;{attrn}m
to the terminal to specify the colors. Standard attributes are
0       Reset all attributes
1       Bright
2       Dim
4       Underscore
5       Blink
7       Reverse
8       Hidden

        Foreground Colors
30      Black
31      Red
32      Green
33      Yellow
34      Blue
35      Magenta
36      Cyan
37      White

        Background Colors
40      Black
41      Red
42      Green
43      Yellow
44      Blue
45      Magenta
46      Cyan
47      White
Seems the SSH Client can only get the code (or name of the colors)
representing colors but not the RGB values. Does this mean we can't change
the palette in the shell enviroment and we can only change the palette on
the terminal emulator?
Thanks!
Stan