Re: How to save options?

From: Mike Ballard
Subject: Re: How to save options?
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 00:10:20 GMT

On Fri Jul 18, Luiz Siqueira Neto disturbed my nap when he said:

> How can I save changes made by 'set-face-foreground' on current mode?

I learned all this before the customization mechanisms in more current
Emacs (post 19.33) became available so my answer may not stand up (well)
as much as in the past.

First, obviously, you need to know the face name for the mode you're
referring to (is it a gnus face, a message face, a font-lock face, etc.).
Normally you can find this information using "Display Faces" (ctl-mb3 on
my setup) with point in the buffer of the mode you're interested in.

I use this in (for example) ~/.emacs:

  (set-face-background 'modeline "darkred")
  (set-face-foreground 'modeline "khaki")

But this can be problematic for modes where faces are undefined until the
mode is started (like Gnus).  That requires another step (again, if you're
like me and not really using the newish customization apparatus).

If you want to use the newer customization capability use M-x customize*
(group, face, mode, etc.) and 'save for future session' at the top to make
it permanent.  That will write your ~/.emacs with the changes.

Mike
--

mike.ballard--at--earthlink.net

  "Roses are red, violets are blue,