RE: Printing from Emacs

From: Bingham, Jay
Subject: RE: Printing from Emacs
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 14:09:10 -0500

On: Monday, July 14, 2003 12:59 PM Harter, Douglas wrote:

> If I do a
> lp -d epitpl02 .profile
> .profile prints to the printer.
>
> However, if I do a
> (setq printer-name "epitpl02")
> and evaluate it (or let it in .emacs and restart emacs) and try to
Print
> Buffer on any file in emacs, I do not get a printer listing.

> Anyone know why????

Because printing from Emacs is not that simple. :)

Seriously, there are some other things that need to be set before you
can print from Emacs.  My .emacs sets the following:

(setq  lpr-command "lpr")
(setq  ps-lpr-command "lpr")

Which tells Emacs that for normal printing use the unix lpr command and
for post-script printing use the lpr command.  You may or may not want
to use the lpr command.  (You did not say but from your message it looks
like you are on a unix system).
You can read more about printing in the info pages.  Look in the main
Emacs info menu for Hardcopy, Postscript and Postscript Variables.

-_
J_)
C_)ingham
.    HP - NonStop Austin Software & Services - Software Quality
Assurance
.    Austin, TX
. "Language is the apparel in which your thoughts parade in public.
.  Never clothe them in vulgar and shoddy attire."     -Dr. George W.
Crane-