Re: simple editor required

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: simple editor required
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 09:15:15 +0200

"Paul Edwards" <kerravon@nosppaam.w3.to> writes:

> It is.  The "maybe" means it doesn't always indent.  And it
> shouldn't, when it is quite obvious the user already has text
> on that line, and doesn't need it indented.  If they had wanted
> it indented, they would have pressed tab, not enter.

Huh?  I find it really convenient that I can just hit TAB (my binding
for indent-relative) at the beginning of a line to increase its
indentation.

> Indentation is meant to apply to a NEW line, not an existing
> line.  It's meant to put blanks there ready for you to optionally
> start typing real characters, and then delete them later if they
> are not already there.

I use it for existing lines, too.

> It is not meant to trash existing lines!  Nor is it meant to get
> so confused on the first line, that it just indents 8 spaces, even
> when my tab setting is 4, and there's not even a prior line to
> inspire it to do something that silly.

That might be a misconfiguration on your part.  (Not that I blame you;
the subject is complex.)  indent-relative looks at tab-stop-list and
configuring tab-width is not going to have the effect you might
expect.  (tab-width refers to how tab characters in the text are
displayed, but the TAB key does not always insert tab characters.)

--
This line is not blank.