Re: simple editor required

From: Paul Edwards
Subject: Re: simple editor required
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 16:19:36 GMT

"Kai Großjohann" <kai.grossjohann@gmx.net> wrote in message
84wufgke19.fsf@lucy.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de">news:84wufgke19.fsf@lucy.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de...
> "Paul Edwards" <kerravon@nosppaam.w3.to> writes:
>
> > If I am at the beginning of the "cccc" line and I hit enter,
> > emacs is inspired to indent cccc to be under bbbb.  I don't
> > want that, I want cccc to stay where it is.  If I wanted cccc
> > to be indented I would do something, e.g. press tab or hit
> > spaces.
>
> Okay, so if the previous line exists and is not blank, then indent
> the new line to the previous line after RET.

> Yeah, I'm afraid you'll have to write your own indentation function.

Wow.  How does everyone else cope with text mode?  This is
basic logical indentation, that comes with micro-emacs.  There's
no existing equivalent?

> Maybe this one?
>
> (defun pe-indent-relative ()
>   "Like `indent-relative' but don't indent after blank line."

Actually, I don't mind it indenting after a blank line, micro-emacs
does that.  But micro-emacs won't indent the CURRENT
line when I hit enter at the BEGINNING of the line.  Emacs not
only inserts a blank line (as I wanted), but is also inspired to
indent the current line for no reason whatsoever.  And when it
is at the beginning of the file, and thus doesn't even have any
previous line to match up with, it still forges ahead and decides
I must want to indent the CURRENT line (with text on it) by
8 characters or 1 tab, as well as putting in the blank line.

>   (when (save-excursion
>           (and (zerop (forward-line -1))
>                (not (looking-at "\s-*$"))))
>     (indent-relative-maybe)))
>
> (defun pe-text-setup ()
>   (setq indent-line-function 'pe-indent-relative))
>
> (add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'pe-text-setup)
>
> Maybe it works, but I haven't tested it.

Thanks!  I'll give it a go.

So what about when you are editting text, and it is lined up in
semi-paragraphs, e.g.

My doctor's details are:
  Name = Fred
  Phone = 1234

My dentist's details are:
  Name = Mary
  Phone = 5678

And the cursor happens to be at the beginning of "My dentist's details"
and you decide that you want an extra blank line to separate doctor
from dentist, so you hit enter.  You're not disturbed that emacs is
inspired to not only insert a blank line, but also to indent "My dentist"
in a couple of characters, to line up with "Phone = "?

I wouldn't mind if I was ABOVE "my dentist" and it decided to indent
a blank line a couple of characters in case I wanted to add more
details, but moving "My dentist" from its current indentation level is
definitely anti-social.

BFN.  Paul.