envvars not being inherited everywhere (was: Re: commit problem with cvs

From: Arnaud Vandyck
Subject: envvars not being inherited everywhere (was: Re: commit problem with cvs mode)
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 00:04:10 +0200 (CEST)

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu.emacs.help/news/@flint.cs.yale.edu> wrote:
> > Everybody does not  use CVS_RSH=ssh. I submit enough bug  to know what I
>
> The problem has nothing to do with CVS_RSH, it's got to do with
> envvars not being inherited everywhere.  It can screw up any program
> in any number of ways.  Typically you get problems like
>
>    "I can start `foo' just fine from the shell, but Netscape says it
>    can't find it"

OK, sorry  if I've been rude, now  I understand the problem  and I think
you  both (Kai and  Stefan) are  right. Do  you have  some link  or more
information so I can send to the package maintainer?

Maybe help me to describe the  problem with enough precision. I like the
way Stefan points it:

                     "it's got  to do  with envvars not  being inherited
                     everywhere.   It can  screw up  any program  in any
                     number of ways".

Thanks for your help

-- Arnaud Vandyck, STE fi, ULg
   Formateur Cellule Programmation.
--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: commit problem with cvs mode Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 18:26:38 +0200
Arnaud Vandyck <arnaud.vandyck@ulg.ac.be> writes:

> Everybody does not  use CVS_RSH=ssh. I submit enough bug  to know what I
> have to do.  I warn about the problem,  but I do not think it's  a bug I
> have to fill against the Debian package... or maybe a wishlist.

The problem is that you put "export CVS=ssh" into some shell init file
(~/.bash_profile or ~/.profile, I guess) and that it didn't take
effect for programs started under Gnome or whatever you're using.

At least that's my understanding.
--
This line is not blank.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: commit problem with cvs mode Date: 18 Jun 2003 14:49:11 -0400
> Everybody does not  use CVS_RSH=ssh. I submit enough bug  to know what I

The problem has nothing to do with CVS_RSH, it's got to do with
envvars not being inherited everywhere.  It can screw up any program
in any number of ways.  Typically you get problems like

   "I can start `foo' just fine from the shell, but Netscape says it
   can't find it"

-- Stefan

--- End Message ---