Re: Minibuffer and Dabbrev problems

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Minibuffer and Dabbrev problems
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 18:33:10 +0200

K T Ligesh <ligesh@lxlabs.com> writes:

>  You mean, you cannot 'return' from a function without generating an
>  error message? Elisp doesn't have a straight 'return' statement?

Well, there are catch and throw.  But most of the time it is easier
to just use if or cond or something like this.

If you (require 'cl), then you can use defun* which creates an
implicit block that you can return from, as I understand.  Or maybe
CL redefines defun to create such a block?  I'm not sure.

>  Actually coming from the vim world, all these error messages are
>  sort of strange. For a person used to just a beep, after some time,
>  these messages can get into your head.
>
>  There should be some option for advanced users to turn off -all-
>  error messages; they do cause certain discomfort. But I guess, that
>  is not trivially possible. I will just have to rewrite those
>  functions without those error messages...  That will mean a lot of
>  rewrite though....
>
>  I noticed Emacs does not try to be Keyboard efficient. Pressing 2
>  <C-s> to get to the next match seems almost preposterous to me. (In
>  vim it is just an 'n' - the difference is huge) Yeah, but I guess
>  it all depends on your view point...
>
>  Currently I am trying to implement incremental search into Viper
>  search... As I said earlier, 2 <C-s> are too much for me..

Amazing.  I never considered this.  But you can do (global-set-key
(kbd "<f3>") (kbd "C-s C-s")) and then you can hit <f3> instead.

Hm.  And probably (define-key isearch-mode-map (kbd "<f3>")
'isearch-repeat-forward) would be useful, as well.

>  Could somebody give me a -SIMPLE- incremental search code. The one
>  with package is too complex for me - I am just a 12 day old
>  toddler.

I think it's because incremental search is inherently difficult.

>  And I am repeating one of my previous requests here..
>
>  Can I map <C-d> to generate a <C-c>. It is not about
>  -define-key-... I need to map keys one step below that... When I
>  press <C-d> I want the upper layers (mainly the elisp modules) to
>  think that I have pressed <C-c>. Otherwise I will have to go around
>  and remap the <C-c> in -every- module...

See function keyboard-translate.

--
This line is not blank.