Re: simple editor required

From: Paul Edwards
Subject: Re: simple editor required
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 22:58:24 GMT

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu.emacs.help/news/@flint.cs.yale.edu> wrote in
message 5lr85sbs0w.fsf@rum.cs.yale.edu">news:5lr85sbs0w.fsf@rum.cs.yale.edu...
> > In text mode, if my file looks like:
>
> > aaaa
> > bbbb
> > cccc
>
> > Hitting enter at beginning of aaaa line creates a newline plus an indent of
> > 8 spaces.

Note that there are no blank lines above aaa.  My goal is to insert one.
Also, I have seen this problem before, probably with 18.x.

> I don't see this with any combination of Emacs-20.7, Emacs-21.3, text-mode,
> indented-text-mode, paragraph-indent-text-mode, newline, newline-and-indent.
> It's probably a bad interaction with your config.
>
> > (my tab is only 4 spaces),
>
> This is ambiguous since it doesn't say whether it's the displayed size of
> a TAB character, or the number of spaces-equivalent inserted when you hit
> M-i or maybe TAB (in which case it also depends on what TAB is bound to,
> which depends on the major mode via the variable indent-line-function).

I don't generate tabs myself, so it is display size.

> > but I didn't actually expect any indentation at all here.
>
> Rightly so.

Here is my .emacs.  I will now try out the various commands!

BFN.  Paul.

; Switch off any crap the installation has
(setq inhibit-default-init 't)

; Don't let emacs guess what file types I am editting
(setq auto-mode-alist '() interpreter-mode-alist '())

; Always assume text mode
(setq-default default-major-mode 'text-mode)

; Make backspace backspace
(global-set-key [?\C-h] 'delete-backward-char)

; Set default tab width
(setq-default tab-width 4)

; Don't create junk backup files
(setq make-backup-files nil)
(setq auto-save-default nil)

; make insert toggle overwrite mode
(global-set-key [insertchar] 'overwritemode)

; Don't use tabs to indent
(setq-default indent-tabs-mode nil)

; Indent whenever you hit enter
(global-set-key [?\C-m] 'newline-and-indent)

; micro-emacs lookalikes
(global-set-key "\M-g" 'goto-line)
(global-set-key "\M-r" 'replace-string)

;(global-unset-key [delete])
;(global-set-key (kbd "<delete>") #'delete-char)
;(define-key emacs-lisp-mode-map (kbd "DEL") 'delete-char)
(define-key text-mode-map (kbd "DEL") 'delete-char)
;(normal-erase-is-backspace-mode 0)
;(define-key function-key-map "\C-?" "\C-d")
;(global-set-key [delete] 'delete-char)
;(define-key function-key-map [delete] "\C-d")

; potential alternatives
;(global-unset-key [deletechar])
;(global-set-key [deletechar] 'delete-char)
;(global-unset-key (kbd "<delete>"))
;(global-set-key (kbd "<delete>") 'delete-char)