Re: Is emacs helpful or necessary to gcc programming?

From: Elf M . Sternberg
Subject: Re: Is emacs helpful or necessary to gcc programming?
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 09:53:13 -0700

Jimmerr <jimkkREMOVEME@umich.edu> writes:

> In article <873ciux2mn.fsf@helicon.physics.colostate.edu>,
>  Dave Steffen <steffend@lamar.colostate.edu> wrote:

>> It just so happens that Emacs has very good support for programming,
>> which makes it _easier_ to write code.

> Thanks.  I was referring to things such as being able to debug and
> compile from within emacs. Is this important?

        Is it "important?"  No.  Is it nice?  Absolutely.  So is
automatic code indenting and face (changes to the color or style of a
display of characters depending upon their role' in the program).  With
additional tools, emacs, like most good code editors, can help you
organize your build process and so on.  Emacs makes it easier to debug
the blank file (which is all programming really is), but it's no more or
less "important" for that reason.

                Elf