Re: emacs 21.3 wants "libXaw3d.so.5"; got Xaw3d-1.5.tar.gz; NOW WHAT?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: emacs 21.3 wants "libXaw3d.so.5"; got Xaw3d-1.5.tar.gz; NOW WHAT?
Date: 25 May 2003 18:22:57 -0400

> Now, on that other thread, there has been SO MUCH back-
> and-forth about the args, one saying "add this -R xxx"
> and the followup saying eg ~~ "no, no, no -- don't do that!

I don't know where you've seen such things.  I haven't seen a single post
say no to the use of -R.

> (1) exactly what arg for the -L?  (and why)

The fact that you got a binary shows that the compiler found all the
libraries it needed at compile-time, which is all what -L is for, so
clearly all the necessary -L are already correctly set by `configure'.

> (5) What is it that makes this 21.3 (or just 21.x?)
>     more difficult, more understanding needed, than
>     20.x, 19.x?

It might compile by default with libraries that are not in the standard
dynamic loader load path.

        Stefan