Re: Has anyone actually built emacs 21.3 for SOLARIS (sparc)?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Has anyone actually built emacs 21.3 for SOLARIS (sparc)?
Date: 21 May 2003 18:37:09 -0400

>> [emacs-21.3]$ ./configure --prefix=/usr/sfw --with-x-toolkit=motif
>> --with-xpm --with-jpeg --with-tiff --with-gif --with-png --with-x

> Question: does any 2nd person agree that I should use
> the above config-args -- either as-is, or with modifications.

The --with-xpm, --with-jpeg, --with-tiff, --with-gif, and --with-png,
and --with-x should be unnecessary (they are autodetected).
The --with-x-toolkit=motif is your choice, depending on whether you prefer
the Motif toolkit for scrollbars and menus or the Xaw3d toolkit for
scrollbars and the Lucid toolkit for menus.

You have Xaw3d installed on your system in /usr/sfw/lib as your
listing has shown, so it should work just fine as long as you make sure
to tell the executable where the Xaw3d library can be found.

For that you need to either provide a -R/usr/sfw/lib argument or an
LD_RUN_PATH to the C compiler (the C compiler did find the library while
compiling,  but the compiler does not assume that the library will be at the
same spot when you run the program as when you compile) or set
LD_LIBRARY_PATH if you forgot to give the relevant info to the compiler.
The -R option is the best choice.

The same issue you're seeing with Xaw3d might occur with Motif, of course,
depending on where the library is installed and what is the default search
path for dynamically linked libraries.

        Stefan