Re: w32 ssh trouble

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: w32 ssh trouble
Date: 15 May 2003 08:06:31 +0100

Bruce Ingalls <bingalls.NO_SPAM@fit-zones.com> writes:

> I am trying to get TRAMP to work under w32.
> Note that Linux works fine for me.
>
> I tried executing M-x shell, then ssh.
> This fails, with the error
> Pseudo-terminal will not be allocated because stdin is not a terminal.
>
> Why am I getting this error, and what can I do about it?

You are getting the error because the version of ssh you are using
expects a certain method of faking Unix pttys (I could take a wild
guess here and say that you're using a Cygwin port of ssh).

You could try using an alternative ssh client. plink (the putty
command-line client) seems like it could work if you can get comint
to recognize the passphrase prompt.

> I also tried running ftp under the shell, but Emacs hangs, no error.

Cygwin ftp? Same problem perhaps.

> I do not have these shell problems with w32 XEmacs.

Cygwin version? You would probably get the ptty emulation that Cygwin
expects if you used the Cygwin port of Emacs as well.