Re: Chinese characters support

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Chinese characters support
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 16:26:15 +0200

Gaoyan Xie <gxie@eecs.wsu.edu> writes:

> I am trying to explore GNU emacs's multilingual support, and what I
> want is the display and input of Chinese characters. Have any of you
> done this before? I tried according to GNU emacs' online manual, but
> still couldn't make it work. BTW, I am using Redhat Linux 7.2 and GNU
> emacs 20.7.

I don't know anything about Chinese support in general.  But with
Emacs, it was very easy.

I compiled and installed Emacs and I also installed some Chinese
fonts.  (The GNU intlfonts package, available from ftp.gnu.org, is a
good starting point.)

Then I typed M-x view-hello-file RET.  This showed me some Chinese
(and Japanese, and Korean) characters.  If you see empty boxes
instead of the Chinese characters, then some fonts are missing.

Then I typed C-\ chinese-py RET to select a Pinyin input method.

Then I typed nihao and saw two Chinese characters.
--
file-error; Data: (Opening input file no such file or directory ~/.signature)