Re: Colors and Redhat (!crystal ball)

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Colors and Redhat (!crystal ball)
Date: Tue, 06 May 2003 18:52:18 +0200

"William D. Colburn (aka Schlake)" <wcolburn+help-gnu-emacs@nmt.edu> writes:

> To see the first indication something is wrong, try the command:
>   emacs -nw -q --no-site-file
>
> I am used to, and expecting, a white screen with black text, except for
> the mode bar at the bottom which will be a black background with white
> text.  However:
>   21.2 on redhat will have the word "*scratch*" in a blue bar.

Ah.  Are you running Emacs under X11 in xterm or konsole or
gnome-terminal or somesuch program?  You can configure these programs
(well, xterm at least) to display bold text not just bold, but also
in some color.

For example, I'm guessing that the following command also shows a
bold blue word:

    echo `tput smso` isitblue `tput rmso`

Hm.  smso and rmso appear to be the wrong names -- they produce
inverted video in my konsole.  Anyone out there know how to produce
bold text?

So Emacs is just telling the terminal to print bold, and it's not
Emacs' fault that the Redhat terminal does something special with it...

--
file-error; Data: (Opening input file no such file or directory ~/.signature)