Re: Help producing the Alt modifier

From: Klaus Zeitler
Subject: Re: Help producing the Alt modifier
Date: 05 May 2003 09:36:22 +0200

    Jeremy> Luis O. Silva wrote:
    JB> How do I make the ALT keys generate the <Alt> modifier
    JB> ?????
    >>
    >> AFAIK you won't be able to generate the Alt modifier in
    >> Emacs. You always will obtain the Meta modifier. The Alt

if there's no Meta key defined then emacs will use Alt as Meta, once
you have an Meta modifier, ALt can be used too

    >> modifier didn't exist in the old terminal and it is *not*
    >> needed in Emacs. Why do you want this modifier? If you need an
    >> alternative modifier, why don't you define Super or Hyper?
    Jeremy>
    Jeremy> OK. How do I make the ALT keys generate the <Super> or <Hyper>
    Jeremy> modifier ????

so your xmodmap output tells us you have defined mod1 as Alt and not as Meta

shift       Shift_L (0x32),  Shift_R (0x3e)
lock        Caps_Lock (0x42)
control     Control_L (0x25),  Control_R (0x6d)
mod1        Alt_L (0x40),  Alt_R (0x71)
mod2        Num_Lock (0x4d)
mod3
mod4
mod5        Scroll_Lock (0x4e)

IIRC you use a 101 keyboard, i.e. you've got no windows keys etc., i.e.
you could e.g. use one of the Control and Alt keys.

now add to/write to your .xmodmaprc file

--- snip --
clear Control
clear Mod1
keysym Alt_R = Meta_R
keysym Control_R = Hyper_R
add Control = Control_L
add Mod1    = Alt_L
add Mod3    = Meta_R
add Mod4    = Hyper_R
--- snip ---

hope I got this right cause it's been a long time that I played with xmodmap.
This should redefine your right Alt and Control keys to Meta and Hyper.
If you don't use Scroll_Lock or Num_Lock then you can of course also redefine
these keys (that's what I've done and I also removed Caps_Lock and use
that key as super key). Do you know xkeycaps? Once you start playing with
the keycodes you better have this one at hand to go back to the default
key bindings.

HTH

Klaus

|  Klaus Zeitler      Lucent Technologies  |
---
If I had only known, I would have been a locksmith.  -- Albert Einstein