Re: File variables in tex-site.el

From: Ulrich Dirr
Subject: Re: File variables in tex-site.el
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 10:09:37 +0200

David Kastrup wrote:
> "Ulrich Dirr" <ud@art-satz.de> writes:
>
>> I'm wondering what all the file variables mean (%t, %f, %s, etc.).
>> I would like to customize the list shown below. Where can I find an
>> explanation what variables exist and what's their meaning?
>>
>> ;; The fpTeX commands.
>> (setq TeX-command-list
>>   (list (list "TeX" "tex \\nonstopmode\\input %t" 'TeX-run-TeX nil t)
>>  (list "LaTeX" "%l \\nonstopmode\\input{%t}" 'TeX-run-LaTeX nil t)
>>  (list "LaTeX PDF" "pdflatex \\nonstopmode\\input{%t}" 'TeX-run-LaTeX
>> nil t)
>>  (list "eLaTeX PDF" "pdfelatex \\nonstopmode\\input{%t}"
>> 'TeX-run-LaTeX nil t)
>>  (list "View" "%v" 'TeX-run-command t nil)
>>  (list "View PS" "gsview32 %f" 'TeX-run-command t nil)
>>  (list "View PDF" "start %s.pdf" 'TeX-run-command t nil)
>>  (list "Print" "dvips %d" 'TeX-run-command t nil)
>>  (list "File" "dvips %d -o %f " 'TeX-run-command t nil)
>>  (list "BibTeX" "bibtex %s" 'TeX-run-BibTeX nil nil)
>>  (list "Index" "makeindex %s" 'TeX-run-command nil t)
>>  (list "Check" "lacheck %s" 'TeX-run-compile nil t)
>>  (list "Spell" "<ignored>" 'TeX-run-ispell-on-document nil nil)
>>  (list "Makeinfo" "makeinfo %t" 'TeX-run-compile nil t)
>>  (list "AmSTeX" "amstex \\nonstopmode\\input{%t}" 'TeX-run-TeX nil t)
>>  (list "Other" "" 'TeX-run-command t t)))
>
> Oh shit.  _That's_ the reason why your stuff does not work
> intuitively with PDFLaTeX now.  Please take a look at the settings of
> this variable in tex.el, change fptex.el accordingly and submit a
> patch.  I am afraid that fptex.el has fallen behind times.  Perhaps
> one should let the code in fptex.el rather just modify those settings
> in tex.el that are relevant.  We need an fptex.el maintainer,
> obviously.  I don't think that any of the current developers of
> AUCTeX actually uses Windows.

I looked at tex.el and changed, e.g.,
 (list "eLaTeX PDF" "pdfelatex \"\\nonstopmode\\input{%t}\""
       'TeX-run-TeX nil t)
accordingly. But I still don't understand what's the difference in
behavior (ok, now I'll save some keystrokes). I still have to type C-c
C-c after successfully compiling to view the file; getting 'Command:
(default View)'; changing it to 'View PDF'; RET; etc.

Just to recall: I want to invoke PDFeLaTeX and when compiling was
successful automatically invoke 'View PDF' without any key to be
pressed. And of course it would be a nice feature if Emacs could close
any PDF document in Acrobat(Reader) before compiling (because Acrobat
blocks the file) and changing to Acrobat if all above was successfully
done. Then work/compile-cycles would be really economic and could save
really much time especially on bigger projects when finetuning requires
many  corrections (with recompiling), don't you think so?

Probably there's still something wrong, isn't it?

Best regards,
Ulrich Dirr

P.S. I don't think I'm the person who can change fptex.el correctly and
write a patch. I probably would make more errors than corrections ...