Re: Automatic Compiling

From: Ulrich Dirr
Subject: Re: Automatic Compiling
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 08:58:11 +0200

David Kastrup wrote:
> "Ulrich Dirr" <ud@art-satz.de> writes:
>
>> David Kastrup wrote:
>>> "Ulrich Dirr" <ud@art-satz.de> writes:
>>> Apart from "/c/bin/emacs-21.2/site-lisp" being about the weirdest
>>> directory I ever saw for installing Emacs files.  Are you sure that
>>> this is in your load-path?
>>
>> I thought emacs-21.2/site-lisp/auctex is a good place. Where should
>> it be installed?
>
> Well, not under a bin directory.  Where are your other Emacs-related
> files installed?

At the moment /bin/emacs-21.2 have subdirs /bin, /etc, /info, /lisp,
/lock (empty), and /site-lisp. I wanted to separate all packages which
did not come with the standard installation (I used a precompiled bin
version), e.g. /auctex, /leim, and /mule-ucs). Maybe the best idea is to
put every local lisp package into /usr/local[/emacs]/site-lisp???

>> P.S. what should have changed concerning the compile cycle
>> keyboarding?
>
> compile cycle keyboarding?  Uh, what?

My original question was how I to eliminate the tedious repetitive
typing, and gave as an example the steps below:

>> Is there an easy way how I can customize my PDFeLaTeX compile cycles?
>> find it somewhat tedious to do all steps by hand.
>> (1) going to the compile menu and selecting PDFeLaTeX
>> (2) explictely confirm saving
>> (3) typing C-c C-c after successfully compiling
>> (4) typing 'View PDF'
>> (5) correcting the status line 'View PDF command: start
<file>.tex.pdf'
>> to <file>.pdf
>>
>> (5) or how can I change the output behavior so that <file>.tex.pdf is
>> written (which I would prefer).
>>
>> I presume that this is nothing special as a lot of TeX afficionados
are
>> using emacs and solved this already.

You answered:
> The current developer version does this, you might want to try it
> using anonymous CVS.

So my hopes now were that after installing the CVS version something
have changed visible. But when TeXing some file nothing seems to have
changed at all (concerning the numerous keystrokes).

>> --- start config.log ---
>> This file contains any messages produced by compilers while
>> running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.
>>
>> It was created by auctex configure 11.14, which was
>> generated by GNU Autoconf 2.57.  Invocation command line was
>>
>>   $
>> ./configure --with-emacs=/c/bin/emacs-21.2/bin/emacs
>> --with-texmf-dir=/c /tex/bin/win32/tex
>> --with-lispdir=/c/bin/emacs-21.2/site-lisp/auctex
>
> The texmf-dir is supposed to be the top of the TeX hierarchy (with
> subdirectories tex, doc, bibtex, and a few others).  You seem to be
> fond of installing data directories under */bin/*.  I don't suppose
> that the programs themselves suggest such paths?

Ah, ok, so it should be probably /c/tex/texmf (I have TeXLive/fpTeX
installed in c:/TeX)

>> hostname = DOMINUS
>> uname -m = i686
>> uname -r = 1.0.8(0.46/3/2)
>> uname -s = MINGW32_NT-5.0
>
> Does MINGW32 use the /c syntax?  Well, obviously it does.  What kind
> of Emacs do you use?
>
>> PATH: /c/bin/emacs-21.2/bin
>
> I did not really want to know that...

So you mean there's something wrong here?

> Rest looks ok.  One thing worth noting is that it looks like you have
> both mingw32 as well as Cygwin installed.  Not sure that is the best
> idea.  What flavor of Emacs are you running?

GNU Emacs 21.2.1 which is called NTEmacs I think (I then downloaded it
from ftp.gnu.org/gnu/windows/emacs/latest/. (BTW I plan to update to
21.3)

 Best regards,
Ulrich Dirr