Re: Automatic Compiling

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Automatic Compiling
Date: 29 Apr 2003 22:42:34 +0200

"Ulrich Dirr" <ud@art-satz.de> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
> > "Ulrich Dirr" <ud@art-satz.de> writes:
> > Apart from "/c/bin/emacs-21.2/site-lisp" being about the weirdest
> > directory I ever saw for installing Emacs files.  Are you sure that
> > this is in your load-path?
>
> I thought emacs-21.2/site-lisp/auctex is a good place. Where should it
> be installed?

Well, not under a bin directory.  Where are your other Emacs-related
files installed?

> > AUCTeX comes with an info file, and you have installed it.  C-h i
> > d m auctex RET should lead you to the AUCTeX info, and it has a
> > chapter "Installation".
> >
> >> Second I don't see any other behavior when compiling. I still
> >> have to input everything by hand (as listed in my first mail).
> >
> > C-h v AUC-TeX-version RET
> >
> > should tell you the installed version.
>
> tells CVS-5.297, is this the new version?

Yes.  At least if any distributor distributes CVS versions, I'll kill
him.

> > Probably you installed into a wrong place.  What was the line that
> > you specified to ./configure?  What is the output of config.log?
>
> ???
>
> Ulrich Dirr
>
> P.S. what should have changed concerning the compile cycle keyboarding?

compile cycle keyboarding?  Uh, what?

> --- start config.log ---
> This file contains any messages produced by compilers while
> running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.
>
> It was created by auctex configure 11.14, which was
> generated by GNU Autoconf 2.57.  Invocation command line was
>
>   $
> ./configure --with-emacs=/c/bin/emacs-21.2/bin/emacs --with-texmf-dir=/c
> /tex/bin/win32/tex --with-lispdir=/c/bin/emacs-21.2/site-lisp/auctex

The texmf-dir is supposed to be the top of the TeX hierarchy (with
subdirectories tex, doc, bibtex, and a few others).  You seem to be
fond of installing data directories under */bin/*.  I don't suppose
that the programs themselves suggest such paths?

> hostname = DOMINUS
> uname -m = i686
> uname -r = 1.0.8(0.46/3/2)
> uname -s = MINGW32_NT-5.0

Does MINGW32 use the /c syntax?  Well, obviously it does.  What kind
of Emacs do you use?

> PATH: /c/bin/emacs-21.2/bin

I did not really want to know that...

Rest looks ok.  One thing worth noting is that it looks like you have
both mingw32 as well as Cygwin installed.  Not sure that is the best
idea.  What flavor of Emacs are you running?

Perhaps it would be an idea, if you are having problems, to report
them with M-x TeX-submit-bug-report, this gives us somewhat more
information.  The way the report looks up to now, things seem to be
properly installed and should work, as long as your have the required
(require 'tex-site) in your .emacs file.