Re: Reading national characters in filenames on Mac OS X?

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Reading national characters in filenames on Mac OS X?
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 21:50:59 +0200

Jonas Steverud <tvrud-usenet@spray.se> writes:

> kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
>> Ah, I didn't know what was meant by «normalized UTF-8».  It's a pity
>> that Emacs doesn't grok it.
>
> So, if I understand this correctly, I will be able to edit my
> non-english files if I set file-coding-system to 'utf-8 and finds an
> UTF-8 font.
>
> Correct?

Well, if I understand correctly, ä is represented by the OS as two
characters.  First comes a, and then comes a special two-dot
character that combines with the preceding character to add the two
dots.

Emacs doesn't understand this kind of Unicode, I think.

It only understands the kind of Unicode where ä is represented by one
character.

> If so, how do I find such a font on my system? I checked xfontsel and
> the "only" selections for "encdng" *, 0, 1, 2, ..., 10, 13, 14, 15,
> dectech, fontspecific, irv, r, ru, standard and symbol.
>
> (I don't know what half of them stands for. The numbers are ISO 8859,
> but the others I do not know.)

Hm.  You use X11?  There is a package called unifont.

> Or are there a better/easier way of selection a "UTF-8 font" for Emacs?

I never tried that.

I installed the unifont package and the GNU intlfonts package.  And
that gave me lots of characters.  (Both packages contain X11 fonts.
Are you using X11?)  I installed the Debian packages.

> I presume that the fonts that comes with Mac OS X are UTF-8 encoded,
> right? If so, I assume I need to tell something something that Emacs
> should be able to use this too, right?

Not sure whether X11 Emacs can use Aqua fonts.

> Shouldn't I set terminal-coding-system (or whatever the variabels name
> is) to something too? set-language-environment sets a lot of things.

I think terminal-coding-system isn't relevant in a window system.

--
file-error; Data: (Opening input file no such file or directory ~/.signature)