[NEWBIE] Questions

From: Robert Pollard
Subject: [NEWBIE] Questions
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 11:38:31 -0700

Hi all,

I have tried finding the answers to these questions before posting. I apologize up front for any of these questions that are in the docs that I missed.

1. Is there a way to adjust the indent space provided by the auto-fill functionality between the topic number and the text. As in the following example:
        1.   lkajsdf lsdfl sadfl dfljasldflkjsdflk asld fls
                jsdfj asdfl lasdflj asdflj lsdf l jasdf lj sf  s
Is there a way to adjust the space between the number 1. and the text? It appears to be a default amount.

2. If you have an outline and you need to move topics around is there a way to renumber the topics?
        i.e.
        2.    lkjasdf alkjdasf alsdf alsdjfl asldf
        1.    asdfsld fl sadf ls dfl lasdfl asdf
        3.    kljasdf lasdjf ljasdf asdj flkj asdf

3. Why would a auto-fill not format the paragraph the way it does 99% of the other topics?
        i.e.
        The way it normally formats the paragraphs is:
        1.   asdfj asdfjljasdf lkjsdfj slkdjflj sdf sdfj lsdjf
              sdf ksdf ;sadkf; ksdfk;sldk f;lsdl f;slk df;lask f
        On 2 occasions it formatted like:
        1.   sjdfj asdfsldjfljasld flkj asdfj alsdj fkasdlfj las
        sdjflasdjf lkjsdfk asdj lksdjflk asdlkf lsflk sdlfk sl
        I had to manually insert the tab/spaces for the second line.

4. I prefer not to have the paragraph indicators as a line feed for end of the paragraph as it appears to be on default. I much prefer a carriage return to indicate the end of the paragraph. As it stands, you have to have a blank line between paragraphs to indicate the end of the paragraph. The start of the paragraph variable (paragraph-start) appears to have the correct pattern for indicating how the paragraph should end for my purposes. This is what my variable values are now:
        paragraph-start's value is "\f\\|[         ]*$"
        Local in buffer <buffer-name>; global value is "[    \n\f]"

        paragraph-separate's value is "\f\\|[      ]*$"
        Local in buffer <buffer-name>; global value is "[    \f]*$"
        The question's are:
1. Checking the space between the brackets it appears to be 2 spaces and then a tab. Is this correct? And, if so, why are these characters used? 2. Why is there a different value for global and the current buffer? It appears there may be some kind of continuation pattern being used for each variable. I do understand basic regular expressions but I don't fully understand these patterns.

5. I am running version 21.2.1 under Cygwin on an Intel system. Certain key equivalents that I have gotten used to over the time that I have been using Emacs are not working anymore. I have to type the commands in instead.
They are:
C-x C-c Quit Emacs
C-h v   Describe a variable
C-h i           Info docs
C-<spc>   Set a mark

Why would these key equivalents not work? This is my first time for using Emacs in Cygwin but I thought the key equivalents would be the same on all systems.

I will try to limit the number of questions per posting but I do have others.

Thanks for your time,

Robert Pollard