Re: Desktop save

From: Sebastian Tennant
Subject: Re: Desktop save
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 15:39:21 +0100

On Tuesday, April 8, 2003, at 02:14  pm, Phillip Lord wrote:

Something is crashing when one of these modes is trying to load
perhaps. Have you checked *messages*?

Hi Phil.

Thanks for taking the time to think about this one. Here's my usual *Messages* buffer upon start-up:

        (emacs)
        Reading directory /Users/sebbyt/.Terminal_folder/...done
        Desktop loaded.
        For information about the GNU Project and its goals, type C-h C-p.

Seemingly no problem there. However within 'customize-group RET desktop' desktop-buffer-handlers says the following:

        Desktop Buffer Handlers: [Hide]
        [INS] [DEL] Function: desktop-buffer-dired
        [INS] [DEL] Function: desktop-buffer-rmail
        [INS] [DEL] Function: desktop-buffer-mh
        [INS] [DEL] Function: desktop-buffer-info
        [INS] [DEL] Function: desktop-buffer-file
        [INS]
           [State]: this option is unchanged from its standard setting.
        List of functions to call in order to create a buffer. [Hide]
        The functions are called without explicit parameters but can use the
        variables `desktop-buffer-major-mode', `desktop-buffer-file-name',
        `desktop-buffer-name'.
        If one function returns non-nil, no further functions are called.
        If the function returns t then the buffer is considered created.

I'm at a loss, not being a Lisp programmer, (or any sort of programmer for that matter), but I've established that the function desktop-buffer-file, (the last in the list), deals with restoring buffers that visit files in the correct major/minor modes etc.

Other things aren't working such as modes I've put in desktop-modes-not-to-save being ignored. But let's tackle one thing at a time hey!

Any ideas?

Seb.