Re: Init error message

From: Kevin Reeder
Subject: Re: Init error message
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 00:08:01 GMT

> Probably you have
>
> (global-set-key 'up 'whatever)
>
> in your .emacs file.  If that is so, say
>
> (global-set-key [up] 'whatever) instead.

Thank you. That sovled the problem which had to do with emulating up/down
cmd history echoing in the shell.

>> Please direct me to a _searchable_ archive of usenet
>
> groups.google.com

Went there and that's better than what I'd come up with on my own.
However, I need to get grounded in working with this .emacs file. The
syntax is a mystery and I just want to use the editor! Probably a common
whine. Is the only option to learn enough of LISP to hack it profitably
without having to cry for help over every little init error msg?

BTW, here's the new error:

        File error: "Cannot open load file", "auto-save"

I've located the line with the offending code; interesting it uses the
apostrophe instead of brackets (require 'auto-save) but when I switch I
get a different error on the same function which seems to be telling me
that it doesn't like the brackets. Like I said I'm in the woods here (but
willing to work).

Finally, I should confess to previously using an alternative to GNU Emacs
because I had found these configuration issues more solvable under the
alternative. Now I'm abandoning that program for GNU Emacs. Is it possible
that the .emacs coding varies between the two emacsen?

Kevin