Re: $HOME var

From: Bijan Soleymani
Subject: Re: $HOME var
Date: 07 Mar 2003 13:51:40 -0500

Anthony G <goggs@bur.st> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I have a minor problem with Emacs for windows. Emacs works great on my Linux
> system at home, but at College where I spend a considerable amount of time
> coding, I have to use windows 2000.
> The problem is as follows; Windows environment variables are set & locked on
> login. I can't add or change them, and command.exe is locked out. $HOME, for
> some FUBAR reason, is set to C:\, yet I don't have write permission FOR C:\.
> This means when I'm halfway through editing a file, emacs tries to save
> '.emacs.d' (or similar) to C: every microsecond. It doesn't hang, but It's so
> occupied in saving the file, that I need to enter commands quickly. I can't
> disable it in .emacs, because I can't save anything to $HOME (C:\), including
> .emacs.
> Can I change $HOME in the emacs lisp files, or even an argument?
make a batch file as follows:
set HOME=X:\directory\that\i\want       (where X is the drive you want)
set PATH=%PATH%;c:\emacs_directory\bin\ (or wherever emacs is)
runemacs.exe                            (or whatever executable runs emacs)

call it emacs.bat and put it on your desktop or wherever.

Basically have the first line set your home.
Have the second set your path to include emacs.
Then just have it run emacs.

P.S. Your school is evil for making you use Windows :)

Hope that helps,
Bijan