Re: How to configure Emacs to autoload modes?

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: How to configure Emacs to autoload modes?
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 21:45:13 +0100

David Masterson <David.Masterson@synopsys.com> writes:

>> (You could add the code to site-start.el if you want to avoid every
>> user having to put it in their .emacs file.)
>
> In the case of auto-mode-alist, don't you think it's preferrable to
> put the code in default.el so that users can choose to not load it via
> inhibit-default-init?

Well.  People could still put (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist ...)
statements into their ~/.emacs.

The problem that I, personally, see with inhibit-default-init is that
it's an all-or-nothing thing.  There is no way to say "I like most of
what default.el does, but please skip this setting here".

That's why I my site-start.el contains a lot of functions, each
setting up a specific package.  Then my users can pick and choose.
(Or choose and pick?)