Re: Finding C style comments using isearch-forward-regexp

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Finding C style comments using isearch-forward-regexp
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 20:01:58 +0100

Timur Aydin <timuraydin@superonline.com> writes:

> I am struggling to find C style comments using the
> isearch-forward-regexp function (C-M-s). Here is the regexp that I am
> using:
>
> /\*\(.\|^J\)*\*/
>
> Basically, I am telling emacs to first find the opening comment "/*",
> then any number of any character or newline and then the closing
> comment "*/".
>
> However, immediately after typing the * after the closing parenthesis,
> emacs tells me:
>
> [(error stack overflow in regexp matcher)]

I created a buffer foo.c and entered the following:

int main(int argc, char** argv)
{
    /* A comment for testing. */
    printf("hello, world\n");
}

Then I went to the beginning of the buffer, entered C-M-s, the regexp
you cited, and it found the comment just nicely.

(Note that your regexp will find too much: if there are two comments,
then it will find everything from the start of the first to the end
of the second comment.)
--
A turnip curses Elvis