Re: HP-UX : problems with multiple calls to process-send-region

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: HP-UX : problems with multiple calls to process-send-region
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 21:31:56 +0100

andrew.maguire@ps.ge.com writes:

> I have a subprocess to which I am sending data using process-send-region.
> I have found that with HP-UX 11 the subprocess is apparently not receiving
> (a middle) part of the data.
> As an experiment, I advised process-send-region to call sit-for with a small
> amount of time before each call. If the time is set to > 0.01 seconds
> all the data is successfully passed. With delays < 0.01 an increasing amount
> of data
> is being lost.
>
> I am using Emacs 21.2 but I have checked that the problem existed in a
> patched
> version of 20.3 too also.
>
> Any suggestions/solutions?

Interesting.  A Tramp co-developer (producing more code than me) also
found this problem recently.  It exists in the CVS version of Emacs,
too.  It's not clear to me what can be done about it.  Tramp includes
a workaround (involving sleep-for I think), but of course it would be
better to fix the C code.

Do you know something about HP-UX development and could you have a
look at the Emacs code to see what's wrong?  I know little C and less
HP-UX, so it's difficult for me...
--
A turnip curses Elvis