Re: NTEmacs, German, ispell

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: NTEmacs, German, ispell
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 07:48:22 +0200 (IST)

On Sun, 19 Jan 2003, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?S=F6ren_Vogel?= wrote:

> > Does it help to visit the file with "C-x RET c latin-1 RET C-x
> > C-f" instead of the usual "C-x C-f"?
>
> No, remains saying eight-bit-graphic and ispell does not work
> properly in both cases: defining the coding system or loading from
> within a defined one.

Strange.  What kind of file is that, anyway?

What happens if you begin with an empty buffer and then type German words
using those characters--does Ispell work then?

> Hm, maybe emacs in fact has _no_ problem
> with my stuff but ispell does so?

The problem is that Emacs doesn't recognize characters such as u-umlaut
as Latin-1 characters.  (That's why it says eight-bit-graphic instead.)
Ispell is set up in your locale for Latin-1 characters, so it cannot work
with other characters.

> And how about the mystery that
> ispell suggests exactly the same word "müssen" but does not (or
> does -- that't not to observe) replace the "misspelled" but
> remains saying: wrong.

It's not the same word: the character code of what is displayed as
u-umlaut is different.  The illusion that the words are identical is
because both characters are (by default) displayed the same.  Try
accepting Ispell's correction, and then do a "C-u C-x =" on u-umlaut in
the replaced word, and you will see the difference.

> Perhaps I should try to set up the ultimate
> options to work with a German keyboard on WinXP-text-files

What ``ultimate options'' are you talking about?  What do you have now in
your .emacs?