Re: (Newbie) How to turn AutoFill-mode on/off

From: Michael Slass
Subject: Re: (Newbie) How to turn AutoFill-mode on/off
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 21:31:47 GMT

ken <ken@cleveland.lug.net> writes:

>Kai,
>
>Thanks for the introduction.  :)
>
>Years ago I gave LaTeX a fair try-- much more than a half hour-- and
>came away from it quite unsatisfied.  To my way of thinking, html is
>more intuitive and much easier to write in as well as to read.
>Moreover, html is the lingua franca of the web and docs so formatted
>drop into it without modification and without need for a plug-in;
>correct me if I'm mistaken, but LaTex docs don't.
>
>Of course LaTeX has its place.  If I were involved in high-end
>typesetting, I'd definitely revisit it.  But its not the only tool
>available for formatting documents and not necessarily always the best
>for every job.

No one is arguing either of these points; I believe most of the
contention has been about what degree of complexity of a document
warrants the transition from HTML to LaTeX.  IIRC, in your first post
on this subject, you said that HTML was good for anything up to and
including a master's thesis, and I suspect that common opinion is
against you on this head.  I'm not sure where is a better spot to
plant the arbitrary transition point, but I am sure that it's well
south of the master's thesis.

All the best,

--
Mike Slass