Re: Loading files at startup (desktop) and revert-buffer leave buffers *

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Loading files at startup (desktop) and revert-buffer leave buffers **.
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 15:27:35 +0000

Alan Mackenzie <none@example.invalid> wrote on Mon, 22 Jul 2002 20:16:51
+0000:
> Emacs 21.1.

> I am using desktop (i.e. I have
>    (load "desktop")
>    (desktop-load-default)
>    (desktop-read)
> in my .emacs)

> Some of my files which get loaded continually (and which I rarely/never
> save) are marked as changed in the mode-line ("**") each time I start
> emacs.

> Whenever I perform a revert-buffer for any of these files, the buffer
> gets reverted, yet the mode-line continues to display "**".

> For what it's worth, there is a file called #filename# for each of these
> files.

> Is this a bug, or have I misunderstood something?

> Thanks in advance.

Hi, everybody.  My problem was nothing whatsoever to do with desktop.

What was happening was that I was setting text properties on these files'
buffers immediately after loading them (I think that loading a file
counts as a "change" for after-change-functions).  Setting text
properties marks a file as changed.

I don't see why setting text properties should mark a file as changed.
It seems to me that text properties are more an internal lisp structure,
and the buffer-changed flag should reflect only changes to the contents
of the buffer - i.e. that were the buffer to be saved, it would have
different contents from the file that had been loaded.  What is the
thinking behind this use of the buffer-changed flag?

Anyhow, apologies to anybody I sent off on a wild goose chase tracking
down this non-existent bug.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
Email: aacm@muuc.dee; to decode, wherever there is a repeated letter