Re: face at point

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: face at point
Date: 19 Nov 2002 18:20:06 +0900

Fredrik Staxeng <fstx+u@update.uu.se> writes:
> preferences. And finally, looking at the default colors in e.g.
> font-lock, it's obvious to me that the Emacs maintainers don't really
> understand these issues.

... which is a bogus conclusion.

People _do_ say `hey these colors look like crap, lets change them,'
but often result is some combination of (1) `um, I kinda like them', or
(2) `they've been that way for 15 years, we'd better not touch them,' or
(3) `maybe we have to do a poll to see if users will object,' ... etc.

All of those responses are in fact valid objections, and anyone who
really wants to clean up emacs' colors has to be able to deal with them.
If someone suceeds in doing so, then the discussion often mires down
into an argument about what the best replacements are.  Since all the
maintainers have usually already customized the colors they hate, it
often doesn't seem worth the effort (remember: many people work on emacs
because _they_ want to use it, not out of some spirit of giving).

I think the light-background defaults stink, but to tell the truth, I
really don't care that much, because I use a black background.  I
_am_ willing to push harder for a dark-background change, and have done
so (and I think the dark-background defaults are in fact better, though
still hardly perfect).

So say what you will about the results (hey everybody has an opinion),
the reasons are not quite so obvious.

-Miles
--
The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.
  --Albert Einstein