bbdb and vm problems

From: Tim Cross
Subject: bbdb and vm problems
Date: 21 Oct 2002 15:04:04 +1000

I'm trying to run bbdb with vm on a debian system (using the testing
image) and have one problem which I hope someone can advise me about.

I have put the necessary lines in my .vm config file and bbdb appears
to be working fine, with one exception.

When I first run vm, all appears to be fine until I got to mail a
message. When I hit m (bound to vm-mail) I get the error message
"Can't load file: vm-reply.el". If instead I hit r (to reply to a
message) and then kill the buffer, I can then use m to mail a
message.

All of vm works fine if I don't load bbdb. All of bbdb seems to be
working fine once loaded with the exception of not being able to send
mail until I have at least started to reply to an existing mail
first. Once I have done one reply, all works fine from then on until
my next emacs session. It seems that bbdb cannot find the vm-reply.el
file. Under Debian, there setup is a little odd at first (but works
nicely if you want to run multiple emacs/xemacs versions) - the .el
and .elc files are in different directories and the .el files are not
in the load-path, but the .elc files are (so this should not matter,
or does it depend on what argument is passed to load-file
(e.g. vm.reply will load vm-reply.elc if available or vm-reply.el next
etc or is it that if load-file is called with the extension .el it
will only load .el?)

Versions:
Emacs 21.2
VM 7.07
BBDB 2.35

Tim
--
find / -iname microsoft -exec rm -rf {} \;